The Bowie Police Department was formed in 1909, but continued with a city marshal system of law enforcement until 1959, when A.J. Martin was appointed as the first Chief of Police. The department has had 13 full-time chiefs of police in its history. Currently, the Bowie Police Department consists of 21 paid members, 14 of which are sworn police officers, with the remaining seven employees holding civilian positions.
With an annual operating budget of $1,478,976.00, the Bowie Police Department strives to offer a variety of services to improve the public safety and quality of life in the community.
Our facility is located at 302 Lindsey Street. It features an emergency operations center, temporary inmate housing, 24-hour communications center, and access to victim assistance and police records.